Saturday, March 23, 2013

Speed-viewing- I'm an oddball, apparently

Okay, whoa. I just clicked the "Next Blog" link at the top of the page twenty times. Here's a breakdown of what I found:

13: Families talking about their "daily lives" to keep in touch with members of their extended family across the country/globe. I got teary-eyed reading one, because the most recent entry was their first after coming home from another country with their new baby. 

3: Moms blogging about their kids. I'm separating this out because they were written in first-person singular, while the first category was in first-person plural. Also, these very much take their identity from their mom-ness- the descriptions are all variations on "my life as a mom of X kids" or whatever. I find this especially interesting because none of them seemed to be identifying as wives, although one had a family portrait on her page that included a dude I (heteronormatively, sure) am assuming was her husband, or at least the father. 

2: Regular, run-of-the-mill bloggers talking about whatever. One was a gal that listed a bunch of things with mom as one of them (her theme was her roller derby, though, and the latest post happened to be about that, too, so she obviously identifies as more than just a mother). The other looked like a regular nerd-type- there were pictures of Link from Zelda in one post, while they were talking about some Russian philosopher in another. Maybe a college student, then, I dunno- no description for that one. 

1: Dude with a Latin degree that talks about theological debates, going back to "the original Latin" or something to "inform" his position. (He'll never get a job, unless he's a prof- I didn't stay on his blog long enough to check.)

1: A pizza place. 

I'm not at all saying this is a representative sample or anything. But I'm kind of perplexed. I had no idea this was used so much for keeping in touch with other people. I guess that makes sense- I mean, that's a big reason I keep my Facebook page, so that I can get in touch with people really quick. (It makes planning parties hella easy, amirite? And George Takei's posts kind of own the internet.)

This makes me wonder. Should I just post a crapton of pictures of my dog, River, so that I can fit in more? Because as far as I'm concerned, she's my kid- unless there's some sort of immaculate conception scheme of which I'm unaware, I'm not anywhere near having a real child, let alone an entire family.


Not that I don't want a family or kids. I've known since before I was in kindergarten that I want to be a wife and mom. That means I want a husband (because yes, I'm straight), and preferably first (because I want a partner in it and someone to share my life with, not because I feel like I need a man to be complete). But that means I'm hardly on my way to having the ability to ooze and oogle about my young-uns. 

And then, hold the phone- my second post is about River! So I already kind of fit in, right? 

Hm...

Maybe I should just start selling my baked goods. Then I'd be more like the pizza place.

Mmmm, pizza....

4 comments:

  1. Remember: the reason that there are so many moms is probably due to self-selection - they are at home all day, so what else are they going to do during what little downtime they have than blurt everything out about their lives as moms that their friends are sick of hearing about but some people on the internet love to hear about!

    Also yes to posting more pics of River and making more baked goods (I might be biased since I live with you).

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Not that I don't want a family or kids. I've known since before I was in kindergarten that I want to be a wife and mom. That means I want a husband (because yes, I'm straight), and preferably first (because I want a partner in it and someone to share my life with, not because I feel like I need a man to be complete)."

    I completely identify with this but I feel like it's an unusually difficult position to successfully argue/capture in a fictional character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, then it's prolly a good thing we're not fictional characters. :)

      Delete

Welcome! I don't always get notifications when comments are left, but I genuinely try to respond when I realize one exists!

Disagreement is fine, but follow the golden rule: "Don't be a dick." If you are, I reserve the right to delete your comment.